Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Weekend stuff.

On Saturday I had planned on going to the Presidio and wandering around. I was in the mood to be outside, and I've wanted to get up to the Presidio. But it was cloudy and a bit gloomy when I woke up, and I was depressed because the weather wasn't cooperating! It got to be 11:45 or so, and I couldn't take being stuck inside anymore, especially with the neighbors playing their loud mariachi music as they always seem to do at about 11:30am every single Saturday. Grrr.

I left to run some errands, and realized that the sun had come out. So instead of taking the 101 south, I headed north to the City, with no directions in hand, determined to find the Presidio. Miraculously, I found it, but I then diverged from my intended pathway once I got into the park. I saw a sign that said "East Beach parking," and turned into the parking lot. From the parking lot, I could see the Golden Gate bridge on one side, and Alcatraz out ahead. So I parked.

I spent about 2 ½ hours there, just walking along the beach. The Bay was out in front of me, the Golden Gate Bridge on one side and the City spread out on the hill to the other side. The sun was out, people were flying kites, there were dogs chasing sticks thrown out into the water…and there was this guy balancing rocks. It sounds bizarre, but it was SO cool. I don't even know how to explain it; I wish I'd had my camera to take some pictures of these towers of rocks he'd balanced on top of each other. It looked absolutely impossible, but there they stood, these towers of impossibly balanced rocks, and this guy in the middle, working to balance the next set, with a crowd standing around watching. Everybody clapped when he finished a tower.

Yeah, Saturday was a good day.
| posted by Barbara | 1:15 AM