Barbara's Random Thoughts

Saturday, February 07, 2004

What's in a name?

I had an interesting conversation a few weeks ago with some locals about what to call San Francisco. They advocated "the City" as the preferred term. Pretty much everyone in the Bay area calls it "the City," and I've picked up on that since moving here.

Personally, I've had long-term contempt for the name "Frisco." I just think it sounds stupid. So, Yoori and I always called it "S.F." I kinda thought it was unique to us until I heard a local entertainment reporter use "S.F." on TV this week.

Then today, I ran across this article on how the term "Frisco" is making a comeback. Heaven help us all.

Another note on pronunciation: I love this quote from above referenced article: "don't say San-Fran-Cis-Co. That's the way Easterners, like Larry King, pronounce it. It's more like SanfrnSISco." I couldn't agree more. Look at me becoming a local. :-)
| posted by Barbara | 3:04 AM