Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Lots of Weekend Stuff

On Friday, I left work at about 2:30 and headed to LA for the weekend. I left about an hour earlier than planned, thanks to my very nice boss, but no thanks to the idiotic copiers (count them, FOUR!!!!) that were determined to jam, refuse to copy, skew, blur, and otherwise mangle the documents I had to get copied before leaving. Anyway, after the copier battle of 2006, I was off for a nice long 6 ½ hour drive to my parents' house. I kept myself amused by listening to all three LOTR soundtracks in succession, and with phone calls from Heather, Laurie Winkler (formerly Irwin), and David Seruyange.

David & Dianna came up from San Diego as well, so we just had a big family bash on Saturday, celebrating my mom’s birthday, Hannah’s birthday, and my birthday. Saturday night, Heather came over and joined my family for games, and we had a great time playing Apples to Apples for about three hours! I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time.

The main reason I headed home for the weekend was to be part of the 25th anniversary celebration for Paul Krake at Green Hills. Church on Sunday was a great time of remembering fun Paul memories (and hairstyles) and thinking back on how much he and his family mean to me. Because it was Paul’s anniversary, there were not only the regular church folks, but also quite a few old-time members visiting from out of town. It was so great to see everyone!! Green Hills really is home for me, and I really miss my church family there.

Fun stories about people’s changed appearance:
-Heather looks AMAZING!!! She seriously has lost a "small child" in weight….and she looks SO great. What struck me when I first saw her on Saturday was that she looked skinnier than her sister Allison. Woohoo! (Just don’t tell Allison I said that…)
-My 3-year-old niece Hannah has a mullet. No joke. She did it herself! She took scissors to the whole front half of her hair, and it's now WAY short from the ears forward. When Nancy described it to me, I was picturing much worse, as in actual bald patches…but no, it's just a bona fide redneck mullet she's got going on. I got her a hat for her birthday, helpful aunt that I am.

Post-weekend goodies:
-I got home Sunday night to find a bonus check from work in my mailbox
-Yesterday, my federal tax refund arrived
-My latest order from Amazon also arrived yesterday (So Many Books, So Little Time and The Tale of Despereaux)
-Last night, I watched my tape of the new ALIAS from Sunday night!
| posted by Barbara | 8:15 PM