Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, June 03, 2004

The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker

I was initially very intrigued by the concept behind this book: the idea that you could figure out people's problems by examining the song lyrics that run through their heads. It ends up being more than just that idea--there's more of a story here than I expected. And in the end, I really enjoyed the story Tucker built around the concept that drew me in.

The characters were well developed--especially the teenage narrator, Leeann, and her older sister Mary Beth (the "song reader"). The story of their family drew me in and kept me reading. It did feel like a first novel in places--there were times I felt the imagery or situations were a little too obvious. But overall, it was a quick, good read. Kristy--I think you'd really like this one.

And a side note: I'm trying to be better about blogging on what I'm reading. Maybe at some point I'll double back and write about Girl in Hyacinth Blue. I definitely recommend it.
| posted by Barbara | 1:42 AM