Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Highlights of the week

So many things are going on right now. This week? Well...

Monday's commute took me an HOUR and 15 minutes because of an overturned potato truck that caught fire. (A POTATO truck, people!!) I got to work at 9:15 instead of 8:30. Monday just happened to be our company "Day at the Races," and the office closed at 11:30 so we could all head off for a free buffet lunch before the races. I got virtually nothing done on Monday, but the free lunch was good! And we had fun rooting for the horses with cool names. Like "Dino Camino" and "Always Picked On."

On Tuesday afternoon, Nancy & John and the kids stopped by my work to say hi! They were on their way down the coast from Santa Rosa. It was great, they all traipsed into the humanities wing, and I introduced them to my fellow EAs. One of the editors commented later about how cute the kids were and how she wished she hadn't been on the phone when they were here!

Then there's the job promotion saga. I feel like I'm ready to pursue moving up to an assistant editor role at work. There's an opening for an AE in Sociology, which is kind of interesting to me. After a lot of deliberation, I applied for the position and had an interview on Tuesday. I really enjoyed the interview. I think this editor would be great to work with, and my editor speaks highly of him.

However, my lengthy deliberation over applying was because there's a possibility of an opening for an assistant editor on my own team, which I would much prefer. Both of our current AEs are in the process of interviewing for different sales rep positions, and if one or both of them get those jobs, there's an open position for me to move into. I would absolutely kick myself if I was hired to the Sociology team, only to find out I could have had the same role on my team.

But, the timing is looking better and better. I should find out by tomorrow if one of our current AEs will get a sales rep job--opening up that position for me to potentially move up. And, I've just heard that there's a second round of interviews with the Social Sciences editor-in-chief, so that buys me a little more time on the Sociology side of things. Oh, to wait and see. Stay tuned...
| posted by Barbara | 7:46 PM