Barbara's Random Thoughts

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Tonight on my way home from work, I was listening to NPR and heard of the beheading of Kenneth Bigley. This news was sandwiched in with other headlines about the evening's presidential debate: Another hostage was beheaded. Debate tonight.

I remember the way I felt when I heard about the beheading of Nick Berg. Shock. Horror. Disbelief. Fear.

And the news was everywhere I turned. On the radio, the TV, all over the internet. But tonight, it was just another story. A big story, yes--but just one among others.

I know there have been other beheadings since then.

Nick Berg.

Kim Sun-il.

Eugene Armstrong.

Jack Hensley.

Kenneth Bigley.

With each victim, the news becomes less shocking. Add another victim to the list, and it becomes more commonplace. Another beheading in Iraq. Presidential debate tonight.

But I also know that my reaction remains the same. I can't hear those words without the same sense of dread. It's a tight, sick feeling in my throat that doesn't diminish no matter how many times I hear: Hostage. Beheading. Iraq.

It's a feeling that's there even as I write these words.

And this isn't something I can get used to. It isn't something anyone should have to get used to.
| posted by Barbara | 6:52 AM