Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Fairy-tale ending

I've heard it from what seems like hundreds of friends, acquaintances, and strangers. Said in a hundred different ways.

There's someone out there for you.

You're so awesome! I can't believe you don't have a boyfriend!

He doesn't know what he's missing.

I hate him for not seeing anything in you!

Just wait--someday that'll be you.

Every time I hear it, I feel just a little bit more alone. I fight to maintain some sort of balance between my natural skepticism and the happier girlish ideals about the inevitability of true love. ("Wuv...twue wuv...") I find those ideals harder and harder to believe as time goes on.

Maybe I have the gift that everyone speaks so highly of
Funny how nobody wants it
(Caedmon's Call)

I say love will come to you
Hoping just because I spoke the words that they're true
As if I've offered up a crystal ball to look through
Where there's now one there will be two
(Indigo Girls)

Do I really want to be this vulnerable in a blog entry? Oh well.
| posted by Barbara | 3:11 AM