Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Biting thumbs

I have a bad habit of biting off hangnails. I really should stop this. Anyway, my boss came in my office this afternoon, and I was biting my thumb. He commented on this, and I was reminded of Shakespeare, and remarked, "I bite my thumb at you!" Then I had to explain that it was from Shakespeare and that it was an insult, and it was slightly awkward because I only meant it in jest.

Gregory: I will frown as I pass by, and let them take it as they list.
Sampson: Nay, as they dare. I will bite my thumb at them; which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it.
Enter Abraham and Balthasar
Abraham: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
Sampson: I do bite my thumb, sir.
Abraham: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
Sampson: [Aside to Gregory] Is the law of our side, if I say ay?
Gregory: No.
Sampson: No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.
| posted by Barbara | 1:39 AM