Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Memory

Last night on my way home from work, I was thinking about music and memories. Then I checked Julie C.'s blog today (Hi, Ju-C!), and found that she's pondering some of the same things. Hmmm.

Anyway, I spent a semester in Florence during college, and I can't think of any other time in my life that is characterized by such concentrated memories. Many of those memories are strongly linked to music. In a matter of minutes, I can come up with a list of music that I immediately associate with those four months in Florence and points beyond:

Lemon Tree, Fool's Garden
Fields of Gold, Sting
Misguided Angel, Cowboy Junkies
Best of What's Around, Dave Matthews Band
Dreaming of April, Out of the Grey
Lights, Journey
The Metro, Berlin
I Love You Always Forever, Donna Lewis
California Dreaming, The Mamas and the Papas
Missing You, John Waite
Appalachian Spring, Copeland
Karma Chameleon, Culture Club
Killing Me Softly, Fugees

Let's call this Barbara's Eclectic Florence mix. I should burn myself a CD.

I've got music associated with lots of the rest of college, too. The Cowboy Junkies, Weezer, Sheryl Crow's All I Wanna Do, and the Reality Bites soundtrack all remind me of Brandy, my first roommate at Biola. Richard Marx, Blessid Union of Souls (I HATE the way that's spelled...), and the Titanic soundtrack remind me of rooming with Laurie. (I'm blocking out her Mariah Carey and George Michael CDs.) Holst's The Planets, and Appalachian Spring (again) remind me of specific Biola Chamber Orchestra moments. ("You're dumping musical garbage all over Holst!")

But lately? Not so much. I can't think of any music that's strongly connected to memories later than the summer following my college graduation. Except maybe Blink 182 and All the Small Things. That reminds me of Yoori. It's our song!

Anyway. Maybe I need to get to work making more good, current memories. Or maybe I need to listen to more music. ;-)
| posted by Barbara | 2:42 AM