Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Still here.

It's been so long since my last post. Sorry. I've been extremely busy at work and both busy and lazy outside of work. Most nights last week I didn't get home before 7:30 and all I wanted to do was watch Alias while importing CDs into iTunes and then go to bed. So that's exactly what I did. Things have slowed down a little bit this week, and our new assistant starts next Monday, so hopefully there is hope for my work schedule.

Here, for your reading enjoyment, are some things I haven't blogged about.
















Kayaking in Monterey Bay. (Picture swiped from Jason. Yes, I am holding a sandwich. What?) We paddled around and got to see otters up closer than we were supposed to. Best wildlife sighting of the afternoon: seeing one otter, just floating, hanging out, resting his head on another otter's stomach.


















Beach bonfire in Santa Cruz. I haven't done a beach bonfire in I don't know how long. I've missed beach bonfires. Other fun that day: getting lost on the way to every single place we went to. Getting lost can actually be fun in a Mini convertible.

















Katie, a friend from my South Africa trip, came to visit. (This is us in Pretoria, because I was lame about taking pictures this weekend.) Among other fun activities, we had a not-entirely-successful trip to SF: got stuck in crazy traffic, couldn't find parking, got turned around, successfully drove up very steep hills*, wandered through the Japanese Tea Garden, and met some of my work friends for dinner & drinks & dessert. (And goodbye to Jessica. Snif.) Oh, and I was told by a random strange man in Golden Gate park: "You have beautiful feet. But not that beautiful." Ok.

*Yes. I myself drove us up crazy steep San Francisco hills. In my car. Without completely freaking out and rolling backwards down the hill and killing both of us. That last part being key.



















On Sunday afternoon, we saw Rebecca at the Stanford Theatre. ("And another thing. Please promise me never to wear black satin or pearls, or to be thirty-six years old.") It was my first Hitchcock and I very much enjoyed its twists and turns.

On the reading front, I must say that I am not entirely enjoying The Dive From Clausen's Pier. Interesting themes + an entirely unsympathetic and not very interesting narrator = apologies to my book club. Sigh. Maybe it'll improve in the last quarter of the book? I need better book club suggestions. I think I may begin choosing books I've already read, just so I know what I'm getting people into.

There's my catch-up. I'm hoping to be in more of a writing mood soon.
| posted by Barbara | 7:07 PM