Barbara's Random Thoughts

Friday, October 27, 2006

News 'round these parts

Updates and things from inside my head.

Work stuff:

I got to sit through a Big Long Important Meeting yesterday at which I got to play three roles because I'm still doing two jobs and another team member was out of town. I get to attend a Big Important DE Meeting tomorrow to figure out what I'm currently supposed to be responsible for. And then subsequently I will figure out all of the additional projects that I'm actually responsible for because we're still shorthanded and there's a hiring/promotion freeze. Yay.

Rumors have been drifting about for a while, but the news broke yesterday that our division of the company is being sold off. I got the news first via CNN yesterday morning. Woo! Official company announcement yesterday afternoon, and many meetings today. Oh, the excitement and the paranoia.

I finally got paid yesterday for the vacation time that was approved and reported and yet still didn't get added into my paycheck. I love returning from vacation to find only half a paycheck in my bank account. So fun.

Other stuff:

After a long day yesterday, it was great to catch up with good friends via phone and over dinner (ok, gelato). I should take advantage of that time before YAF more often.

Fall is here and I love it. It's been getting quite cold at night lately, but still warm during the day. Schizophrenic ambiguous weather that can't make up its mind. But when I got home last night, I crunched my way up the driveway through the first of the fallen leaves. Thus, fall is here. Time for gingerbread and persimmon cookies and pumpkin bread.

My parents are coming to visit this weekend, and they've offered to take some of my things back with them--stuff that's going to end up getting stored in their garage anyway, come December/January. So I've been going through my bookshelves and deciding which books to pack away. It's horrible. I feel like I'm packing away old friends.

I've kept out a shelf-ful of the books I can't yet bear to pack away. I know I'm not taking all of these with me next year. Neither am I realistically going to read or re-read all of them before I leave. But I can't put Middlemarch and David Copperfield and Tolkein (and like 80 others) in a box just yet. I might want them. They must be near.

Missions stuff:

Fundraising is going really well. I'm almost at my second goal (almost a month early), so I'm way on track. I just hope things aren't too frontloaded! Anyway, it's such an encouragement to me to see how many people want to be part of this next step in my life--and encouragement has come through more than just donations. Emails, conversations, so many small reminders that God's sending my way. This time is intimidating in many ways, but it's so so good to remember how many amazing people are in my life.

I'll close with a song that's been feeding my soul these past couple of days:

Shelter
Sandra McCracken


In the arms of a good Father
You can go to the deep water
Where the questions we have left unspoken
Come out in the open
We will find shelter here

So I lay down what I cannot hold in my hands
Every sorrow and hope spinning out of control
And here I find sweet resolution comes in letting go
And we will find shelter here

When I look back I can see,
And when I am old I'll remember these things
Like a mountain of stone
And the longing that makes me believe

There is a tree by the blue river
Where the shade stretches wide over
In this breaking we are hand and glove
Come with me my love
We will find shelter here
| posted by Barbara | 3:14 AM