Barbara's Random Thoughts

Monday, May 26, 2008

I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb

I decided to tackle this almost 900-page novel on my flights to South Africa. It was really really good. I’d read Wally Lamb’s She’s Come Undone years ago, and thought it was absolutely amazing. A former boss of mine had read both novels and thought this one was far superior, so I had high hopes. And while I thought this one was a little more scattered, it worked for me.

At first, I didn’t find any of the characters likable, other than the narrator’s ex-wife. This didn’t seem to bode well for the novel. But I couldn’t put it down. It ended up being an awesome plane-and-just-arrived-in-South-Africa novel. It’s similar to She’s Come Undone in that things never seem like they’re gonna get better for the narrator. Which takes the reader on quite a journey, but it ends up being a very good journey, and one that I enjoyed.

Yes, that's an Oprah's Book Club logo on the front cover. Shut up.

Labels: ,

| posted by Barbara | 5:02 PM