Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Reading 2008

A friend asked me whatever happened to my blog where I write about what I'm reading. I had to hang my head in shame. So much for that resolution to write something about every book I read this year. I do want to write a bit more about what I liked, didn't like, read, didn't read... etc. And I positively must comment on the large number of books I read about monks and nuns. Completely unintentional, I swear. But for now, here's the list. And maybe there will be more to come as far as my comments about the list!

Fiction: (21 books)
The Man Who Was Thursday, G.K. Chesterton
Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
A Far Better Rest, Susanne Alleyn
The Time Traveler’s Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb
Mama Day, Gloria Naylor
Godric, Frederick Buechner
Wintersmith, Terry Pratchett
And the Word Was, Bruce Bauman
The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco
The Secret History, Donna Tartt
Mariette in Ecstasy, Ron Hansen
The Least of These My Brothers, Harold Bell Wright
Watership Down, Richard Adams
Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien
The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien
Lambs of God, Marele Day
Sunshine, Robin McKinley
High Fidelity, Nick Hornby
The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien
That Hideous Strength, C.S. Lewis

Children’s/YA: (11 books)
Magic or Madness, Justine Larbalestier
Kneeknock Rise, Natalie Babbitt
The Twenty-One Balloons, William Pène du Bois
Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson
Emily Climbs, L.M. Montgomery
Below the Root, Zilpha Keatley Snyder
The Giver, Lois Lowry
The Water Horse, Dick King-Smith
Emily’s Quest, L.M. Montgomery
A Great and Terrible Beauty, Libba Bray
A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle

Nonfiction: (14 books)
In Search of Guidance, Dallas Willard (244)
Journey to Myself, ed. Julia Landau (88)
A Stay Against Confusion, Ron Hansen (261)
*A Spirituality of the Road, David Bosch (90)
*Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer (122)
*What’s Your God Language, Myra Perrine (222)
*Simply Christian, N.T. Wright (240)
A Severe Mercy, Sheldon Vanauken (238)
*A Tale of Three Kings, Gene Edwards (98)
*The Forgotten Ways, Alan Hirsch (271)
*The Divine Conspiracy, Dallas Willard (436)
Scribbling in the Sand: Christ and Creativity, Michael Card (163)
Love in the Driest Season, Neely Tucker (242)
The Mind of the Maker, Dorothy Sayers (229)

Poetry: (1 book)
Selected Poems, Edna St. Vincent Millay (155)

Total: 47
Re-read (17 books)
*CRM/NCSA (7 books)

Also, pieces of:
*Funding Your Ministry, Scott Morton
*About Teaching 4MAT in the Classroom, Bernice McCarthy
*Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster


Appendix, for what it's worth:

Still in progress at the end of 2008:
The Irrational Season, Madeleine L’Engle (I finished this one today!)
Penguins and Golden Calves, Madeleine L’Engle

Books I purchased in 2008, but have not yet read:
Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, Eugene Peterson
Winter’s Tale, Mark Helprin
Alphabet of Grace, Frederick Buechner
Finding Our Way Again, Brian McLaren
The Penelopiad, Margaret Atwood
Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl

Books I brought to SA from CA, but have not yet read:
Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, Eugene Peterson
King Hereafter, Dorothy Dunnett
The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
The Four Loves, C.S. Lewis

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 8:12 PM