Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, April 15, 2004

I love this page.

Common Errors in English.

I love the occasional snarky comments:

SOUP DU JOUR OF THE DAY
Soupe du jour (note the E on the end of soupe) means "soup of the day." If you're going to use French to be pretentious on a menu, it's important to learn the meaning of the words you're using. Often what is offered is potage, anyway. Keep it simple, keep it in English, and you can't go wrong.

And while I'm at it, I'll just point out an error that's one of my pet peeves:

YEA/YEAH/YAY
"Yea" is a very old-fashioned formal way of saying "yes," used mainly in voting. It's the opposite of--and rhymes with--"nay." When you want to write the common casual version of "yes," the correct spelling is "yeah" (sounds like "yeh"). When the third grade teacher announced a class trip to the zoo, we all yelled "yay!" (the opposite of "boo"!). That was back when I was only yay big.

Each entry has a donkey next to the error and an owl next to the correct usage. Wise owl, dumb ass. Hee hee.
| posted by Barbara | 6:25 PM