Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Could I have been anyone other than me?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You don't know just how much I've missed this. I had it on tape (yes, laugh, but that's how long I've had it), and finally got it on CD this week.

These songs bring back so many memories for me. Melinda bought the CD right before we left for Florence, and we played it incessantly that semester. We sang lines from it while wandering in Europe:
Could I have been
Lost somewhere in Paris


While having a bad day in Lucerne:
Turns out not where but who you're with
That really matters


After buying something, anywhere:
Pay your dues, and your debts
Pay your respects, everybody tells you
You pay for what you get


We discussed the lyrics:
Six senses feeling
Five around a sense of self


She'd sing to me when I was down:
Hey my friend
It seems your eyes are troubled
Care to share your time with me


I used to laugh that Melinda had a song for everything. But DMB provided more than the average number that particular semester.

Everybody asks me how she's doing
Since she went away
I said I couldn't tell you
I'm okay


And then there's one memory from Biola: driving around the Denny's parking lot in Laurie's truck, me crammed in the middle, DMB providing the soundtrack, and Amber growling: "what would you say?"

I don't love it only because of the memories linked to these songs. I'd love it anyway. But memories just make it better.

See you and me
Have a better time than most can dream
Have it better than the best
So we can pull on through
Whatever tears at us
Whatever holds us down
And if nothing can be done
We'll make the best of what's around
| posted by Barbara | 8:46 PM