Barbara's Random Thoughts

Friday, March 04, 2005

Rearranging and Reading

So last night I rearranged my bookshelves. I got this idea that I should return to the practice I used to have, of shelving all my unread books together. This method reminds me of books I own and want to read that can otherwise get lost and forgotten on the shelves. It also guilts me into reading the stuff I already have, rather than being distracted by the library or the temptation to buy more books.

You would not believe what a large pile of unread books accumulated on the floor as I began pulling the unread titles off the shelves. I swear, they started breeding when they hit the floor. I freaked out just a little and altered my plan, which originally was to devote one shelf to the unread titles. There was no way they were all going to fit. So I now have one shelf devoted to the unread books I think I might possibly read in the coming year. The other neglected unread books are hiding amongst the other titles.

I'm making a bit of progress on my list for the year, though I'm starting easy. I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time this week. It was good, but I had the same reaction to it that I've had to many "experimental" type novels--interesting idea, great execution of that idea, but not a terribly satisfying read. I'm also a few chapters into Persuasion, and I'm planning to tackle a longer one before the month is out. Les Miserables? Maybe not just yet. =)
| posted by Barbara | 8:18 PM