Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A-Z books about me

From the NY Times: Love Lit 101. (Found today at ILB.)

My ears perked up when I recently heard the tale of a New York journalist who gave his wife an unusual birthday present: a list of books from A to Z that would help her better understand him.

This idea here? Darn good way to my heart, I'll say. Ok, ok, the disclaimer must be forthcoming: it would somewhat depend on the list of books. (Could I ever date someone who thought the Left Behind series was great literature? Probably not.)

I love pondering the question of what books as gifts say about you--or about your relationship with the person you're giving them to. (Like the dating books my parents gave me last year. Sigh.)

I love Shakespeare, but if I put in "The Taming of the Shrew," would I send the wrong message? Everything suddenly seemed fraught. What inferences would he draw from "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"? Would he find me stuffy if I included "Ethan Frome"? Pretentious if I threw in Ovid? Mirthless if I chose the shame-spiraling "House of Mirth"? Hostile if I picked "Be Honest - You're Not That Into Him Either"?

I'm still pondering an A-Z of titles that reflect who I am. Maybe I'll get around to making such a list. Stay tuned...
| posted by Barbara | 8:45 PM