Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Books, what else?

I keep seeing this on blog after blog, so I'm finally doing it myself.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Hmm. There are two ways to answer this question: which book I'd most likely be able to embody, and which book I'd want to be.

I'd love to offer something more substantial to the preservation of the literary canon, but the books I'd best embody would most likely be the Roald Dahl canon, or the Anne books. I could also probably do a fairly good job with anything Oscar Wilde. But I think it would be really cool to be Don Quixote.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
I really don't think so.

The last book you bought is:
Scissors, Paper, Stone is the last one I bought. But last night, a copy of I'm Not the New Me arrived in the mail, and The Goose Girl is on its way.

The last book you read:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and Girls in Pants by Ann Brashares

What are you currently reading?
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
This is such a difficult question for me--to choose which books I'd want to re-read over and over, ones that I would enjoy and get more out of on multiple readings. I'm not quite content with the following list (I might want some poetry...), but I console myself by noting that it doesn't say these are the only five books I would take to a deserted island. =)

1. The Bible
2. The LOTR trilogy
3. The Brothers Karamazov
4. Middlemarch
5. The Complete Guide to Surviving on a Deserted Island.

Ok, so the last one is a cop-out. =) Substitute Les Miserables if you like, I may as well throw in a long one that I haven't read yet.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Hmm. Whoever wants to do it. No obligation, no name-calling, no real answer to this question.
| posted by Barbara | 9:11 PM