Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Summer Solstice

Not that the title has much to do with the content of this post.

I haven't posted a whole lot about this year's Wales trip, other than this post including deliberations on whether or not to go. But I am going! A month from today, I'll be flying out of SF and heading to Wales for almost two weeks. So today you get the Wales post.

Starting with...my decision to go on this trip. As this year's team started to come together, it became apparent that there was a huge need for young people on the team. In the past, the younger team members have played an integral part in the ministry to the kids we've worked with. It's made a huge impact on them to see young people who are serious about their relationship with Christ. This year's team is smaller than it's been in the past, and there were several conflicts with other mission trips that the youth and college groups were doing--meaning fewer young people available to go to Wales. There was an obvious need, one that in part could be filled by me.

So, rather than sit on my butt deliberating further, or seeking out alternate missions opportunities this year, I decided to go to Wales. I had been asking God to show me where he wanted me, when there was an opportunity and a need right there in my lap. Hello, Barbara! I felt like that was the answer to my indecision.

So, I'll be headed out in another month with a team from my home church. We'll be working with Gilgal Baptist Church in Porthcawl, Wales to help lead a Holiday Bible Club (VBS) for ages 4-12, and we'll also be doing some evening youth events to reach out to the older kids in the community. I'll be teaching the 7-year-old group for the HBC, and playing a part in the requisite silly VBS skits. We're taking a team of 10, and will add Heather to the team when we get there. She's been doing youth work with Gilgal for the past year, but I guess she counts as one of the team since she's one of the Americans. ;-)

I'm really excited about this trip. I'll get to minister alongside friends from my home church, and friends from Gilgal. I'll get to teach some great kids who don't have much church exposure, but are eager to hear about Jesus. I'll get to hang out with Eric (the annoying little brother I never wanted) and my Welsh little sister, Jude. (Neither Eric nor Jude are actually related to me. But they are my little brother and sister, nonetheless, even if they are both bigger than me.) And I'll get to spend time with my best friend, who I haven't seen in nearly a year. One more month...I can't wait.

Should you be so inclined, you can read a bit about last year's trip here and here.
| posted by Barbara | 6:27 PM