Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, September 22, 2005

So far

I've been perusing my bookshelves this week in search of ideas for the next book club selection. And this led me to take stock of my reading thus far in 2005. I posted this in January--a list of books I intended to read this year. And here's what I've actually read so far. Italicized are the books that appeared on the original list. (Please note the proliferation of titles that did not appear on the original list.)

Love Letters, Madeleine L'Engle
Red Suitcase, Naomi Shihab Nye
Les Miserables, Victor Hugo (yeah, so I'm still working on this)
Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson

The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling
Good Grief, Lolly Winston
Daddy-Long-Legs, Jean Webster
The Clerkenwell Tales, Peter Ackroyd
The Final Solution, Michael Chabon
The Archivist, Martha Cooley (re-read)
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke
I'm Not the New Me, Wendy McClure
The Blue Sword, Robin McKinley
The Hero and the Crown, Robin McKinley
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
Girls in Pants, Ann Brashares
Judy Moody, Megan McDonald
The Goose Girl, Shannon Hale
The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi
The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux
Persuasion, Jane Austen
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Mark Haddon

The Grace Awakening, Chuck Swindoll
The Confessions of Max Tivoli, Andrew Sean Greer
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood, Ann Brashares
The Plot Against America, Philip Roth
Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco

5 out of the original list of 20. Heh. Les Mis was my summer project and I'm not even 100 pages in. I can bet you right now that I won't make it through The Once and Future King--planned as my fall/winter project. I suppose I could make it my next book club selection, but I think they'd mutiny (or just not show up).
| posted by Barbara | 12:34 AM