Barbara's Random Thoughts

Monday, December 18, 2006

Goodbye hugs make me happy, but they also make me want to cry

Friday was my last day at work. Today was my last Sunday at PBC. The past few days have been full of great conversations and heartfelt goodbyes. And hugs. Lots of hugs. I'm not a crier...not at all. But I've been on the edge of choking up a LOT lately, which is saying something for me.

It was a beautiful, clear, cold sunny day today. And the weather and the goodbyes and the hugs have made me fall in love with the world and everything in it. It's strange to be so full of sadness and joy at the same time. I feel so privileged to know so many wonderful people who have shared in my life here, in big and small ways. I'm really, really going to miss this place and all it's held for me. I'm looking forward to cramming in as many hangouts as I can before I leave on Thursday. And with that, I need to go to a birthday party, at which there will no doubt be more goodbye hugs.

Here are some lyrics for you...

When they blow Gabriel's horn
Rip fiction from fact
I want to get caught
In some radical act

Of love and redemption
The sound of warm laughter
Some true conversation
With a friend or my lover

Somewhere down the road
We'll lift up our glass
And toast the moment
And moments past

The heartbreak and laughter
The joy and the tears
The scary, scary beauty
Of what's right here

(Over the Rhine, "Here It Is")
| posted by Barbara | 3:42 AM