Barbara's Random Thoughts

Monday, November 07, 2005

Of music and law and grace

I discovered this week via an email from IndependentBands.com that Derek Webb has a new album coming out in December. I did some poking around on the web and found that derekwebb.net has a bunch of mp3s of some songs off the new album (recorded at a couple of recent concerts). So I've been listening to the new stuff quite a bit the past couple of days...and pre-order, here I come. (I have also concluded that I must get myself a Sandra McCracken album as well.)

I really like Derek's music. When he was with Caedmon's, I found that usually the songs of theirs that he wrote were the ones I connected with most. So although I was sad to see him leave Caedmon's (and still miss him there), I was excited about his solo stuff. His lyrics have been the subject of some controversy, I guess...but that's one of the things I enjoy about his music. His lyrics challenge me and make me think more deeply about the issues and ideas he writes about, whether I agree with him exactly or not. Anyway, I came across these lyrics for one of the songs off the new album, and it dovetails nicely with some of what we've been discussing lately in YAF during our study of Romans.

A New Law
Derek Webb

Don't teach me about politics and government,
Just tell me who to vote for.

And don't teach me about truth and beauty,
No, just label my music.

And don't teach me how to live like a free man,
No, just give me a new law.

I don't want to know if the answers aren't easy,
So just bring it down from the mountain to me.

I want a new law, I want a new law.
Just give me that new law.

And don't teach me about moderation and liberty,
I prefer a shot of grape juice.

And don't teach me about loving my enemies.

And don't teach me how to listen to the Spirit,
No, just give me a new law.

I don't want to know if the answers aren't easy,
So just bring it down from the mountain to me.

I want a new law, I want a new law.
Just give me that new law.

Cause what's the use in trading a law you can never keep
For one you can, that can not get you anything?

So do not be afraid.
Do not be afraid.
Oh, do not be afraid.
Do not be afraid.


These lines really get me:
And don't teach me how to listen to the Spirit,
No, just give me a new law.

I don't want to know if the answers aren't easy,
So just bring it down from the mountain to me.

It's so much easier to be told exactly what to do and what not to do. It's so much simpler to follow blindly without understanding. But that's not the point--that's not what the Christian life is about. It comes across that way so often because we get caught up in following rules instead of following the Spirit. I'm the kind of person who likes to follow rules. I like to know what's expected of me and then meet those expectations. But it's not about me and what I do.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.
(Rom. 3:21-24)

Righteousness apart from law. It's a concept that I don't know if I can get my head around. Because it's not something that I do, and I like to do stuff. It makes me feel good about myself and feel this false sense of how great I am. But ultimately, I can't do enough, and that's what this whole righteousness from God thing is about. I love Romans 3:24--the verse that so often gets left off with the popular memorization of Romans 3:23. We are justified freely, by grace, not through anything we do.

We are set free from the old law, free to obey through the power of the Spirit working through us, instead of our own inadequate efforts. Easy? No. But better.
| posted by Barbara | 1:51 AM