Barbara's Random Thoughts

Monday, November 07, 2005

Thinking

I wonder if blogging is reinforcing poor writing habits for me. One of the reasons I started blogging was so that I would be writing more. And that's still a good thing. Writing helps me think things through, and it's been good to share my thoughts here, sometimes interacting with others about those thoughts, and sometimes just getting them out of my head and onto the page.

But I'm realizing more that blogging has made me a lazy writer. Or rather, I tend to be a lazy writer when I blog. When something's kicking around in my head and I decide to blog about it, I type up some thoughts (perhaps not always fully formulated), and then I post. And then I re-read and think, wait--I don't think I was done with that. For me, blogging is a weird combination of writing, journaling, and just thinking out loud. Whereas with other writing, I pore over it a lot more--rewriting, editing, refining, rethinking. Something I should do more of, in general. But then, that process ends up leading to a lack of content here as I self-censor more. Ah, for balance.
| posted by Barbara | 8:02 PM