Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Who are your friends?

I thought I'd posted this earlier. From an email Kristy sent me over the weekend:


When people meet people like you and me, the first thing they should do is run to the bookcase and check things out. Really. I like showing people my collection not because I want to show off how many books I have or to make them think I'm smart. It's more like, 'These are my friends. Do you know them? Do we have any in common? Who are your friends?'

I love this, because it's so true. Books are enough of a part of my identity, that my bookshelves really tell a lot about who I am. Well, if you are familiar with my book-friends, I guess. Although if I start thinking about this too much, I feel the need to provide disclaimers for why I own the books I do. So I'm not going to think about that one.

I wonder if this is one subconsious reason I've quarantined my unread books in my room, instead of shelving them among the rest of my books. They're only potential friends just yet, so they shouldn't be free to roam the house for all to see. There's a metaphor here to get at...

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 6:15 PM