Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Musical convergence

Lucinda reminded me about Pandora this week. David turned me on to it several months back, and I played with it a bit and then forgot about it.

If you're unfamiliar with Pandora, do check it out. You enter a song or an artist and it creates a streaming station playing songs that it thinks are musically similar to what you've entered. And if you wonder why it played a particular song, it'll tell you. Currently playing: The Shins' cover of We Will Become Silhouettes (who knew The Shins covered The Postal Service?!). Here's the explanation: "we're playing this track because it features a subtle use of vocal harmony, meandering melodic phrasing, major key tonality, acoustic rhythm guitars"...hmm, meandering melodic phrasing. I like the sound of that.

So anyway, Lucinda mentioned last week that I should listen to M. Ward, and yesterday she sent me a link to her M. Ward station on Pandora. I checked it out, and discovered over the course of the afternoon that Regina Spektor kept showing up. Far more often than the original object of the whole exercise, in fact. But I'm not complaining at all.

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 11:02 PM