Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pretending to work

How easy it is to fill my days with things that masquerade as work. I spent a good part of the afternoon yesterday organizing plans for the books I'm developing for 2008 & 2009. Not unhelpful, but not really getting into actual work. Then there's the "Employee Engagement Survey" I'm supposed to fill out today. (I SO want to answer "I shouldn't have to fill this out; I'm not engaged." But I don't think they mean THAT kind of engaged.) There are a thousand and one things that vie for my attention, and not all of them are irrelevant. They're just not entirely productive. (And I solve this by...blogging? Heh.)

I'm kind of in the same place personally. I've set myself some deadlines for thinking through and reflecting on my trip, and for making decisions about what I'm going to pursue in the future with NieuCommunities. And I've been busying myself with idle thoughts about it rather than getting into the real "work" of intentionally working through my experiences and nailing down what I've learned and what I want to do with that.

I feel like Scarlett O'Hara: "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

I don't know if it's laziness or avoidance or both. But I'm tired of my self-created distractions. And in the meantime, I have some real work to do. At work.
| posted by Barbara | 7:24 PM