Barbara's Random Thoughts

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hey from South Africa

I know I said I didn't think I'd blog...but I have access, so I'm dashing off a short post before I head for bed after another LONG but amazing day here. I've been here only a little over a week, but it feels like so much life has been crammed into these days here:

-Hanging out with families in tiny tin houses in Soshanguve
-Watching tiny black kids show us their dance moves to the now oh-too-familiar DJ Clio
-Being taught how to play netball by girls in a detention center/home for abused kids
-Being one of only 11 white people in a packed out church on Sunday (they introduced our team and asked us to stand up...like people couldn't tell who the Californians were)
-Talking music with homeless guys in downtown Pretoria
-Visiting the Apartheid Museum in Jo'burg
-Seeing hippos/rhinos/elephants/giraffes/and so much more today on a game drive

So, so many experiences to thank God for and so much to think about and to process in the coming weeks. I'll arrive home on Saturday. Hard to believe my time here is coming to a close. Blessings to you all...can't wait to share more stories with you soon.

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 9:56 PM