Barbara's Random Thoughts

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Winter Reading Challenge

I've seen this on several of the book blogs I read, and I'm giving in to the peer pressure. The challenge is this: select 5 books that you have already purchased, have been meaning to get to, and haven't read before...and READ them, between Nov. 1st and Jan. 30th.

These all seem to be better winter books than South Africa books, hence the need to read them now rather than take them with me under the pretense that I will read them next year. Here's the list:

1. Atonement – Ian McEwan. I dragged this book to South Africa and back, then to Italy and back, and I still haven’t read it. I am ashamed. I think everyone else in the world has read this book but me.
2. A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens. I know, I know. I have an MA in Literature and yet I haven’t read this. In my defense, I’ve read David Copperfield, Martin Chuzzlewit, Great Expectations, Hard Times, and A Christmas Carol. Probably others I'm forgetting. No, I haven’t read Oliver Twist either. Shut up.
3. Neverwhere – Neil Gaiman. I’ve been meaning to read more Gaiman since picking up Coraline a couple years ago. (And since Julie’s always recommending him…)
4. Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen. The one Jane Austen novel I haven’t yet read.
5. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott. Yet another egregious omission in my reading list. It’s time.

I reserve the right to switch out books above with books below, depending on my mood. I borrowed both of these from friends and should really finish and return them before I leave:

The Disorderly Knights – Dorothy Dunnett. (I will return this to you before I leave, Julie!!)
No Promises in the Wind – Irene Hunt. (Kristy--ditto.)

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 9:56 PM