Barbara's Random Thoughts

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Goodbye, little iPod

Tonight I bade a fond farewell to my first iPod, self-referentially named Babs. It fell prey to a software corruption that could not be rectified through any efforts on my part or on the part of the kind service personnel at the Apple Store. However, the kind personnel at the Apple Store did replace my sad departed iPod. Say hello to DJBJ. DJBJ is sans engraving (a gift from my former boss, Babs had my name on the back), but better that than an engraved iPod that arrives after I leave for South Africa.

The iPod is just one of many things that has ceased to work as it should lately. Today was full of thwarted attempts to accomplish things and I’m feeling generally out-of-sorts. I don’t like being like this.

Somedays aren’t yours at all
They come and go just like they’re someone else’s days
They come and leave you behind someone else’s face
And it’s harsher than yours
And it’s colder than yours
(Regina Spektor, “Somedays”)


There’s a general feeling of displacement that’s brooding in the back of my mind, as I live the nomadic life in which I currently find myself. Add to that all the millions of details that I need to take care of in the next week and a half, and my head’s just not where I’d like it to be. There’s so much I want to focus and reflect on, personally and spiritually, and instead I’m spending my hours attempting to settle things that never seem to get settled.

And I’ve realized that I’ve been doing a lot of complaining lately, and that’s what this post is turning into as well. Argh. Like I said, I don’t like being like this.

So, here’s a list of good things:

-Thanks to the Apple Store, I have a new working iPod, in my hands, ready to go.
-Thanks to Verizon, my phone will once again hold a charge, and it didn’t require me paying anything. Now my parents can use my phone with wild abandon after I leave. ;-/
-I ran into Nancy & John & the kids at the library this morning as I attempted to use library wireless which proved to be passworded...and I no longer have a library card there...one more roadblock. But I got to see family in what would otherwise have been a fruitless trip. Yay for friendly faces and people glad to see me.
-Ditto on running into Heather & Aaron and baby Dell today at Panera in the midst of my computer/iPod frustration.
-I have imposed a small bit of order on the boxes in my parents’ garage.
-The USPS has finally decided to start forwarding my mail.
-I’ve gotten to not only hang out with a few SoCal friends, but also two Bay area friends since I’ve been down here. That makes me happy. Elise, I’m so glad you’re in the area. =)
-Third Street at Santa Monica was fairly dead for New Year’s, but I got to hang out there with some really good friends. And we rode the ferris wheel on the pier!
-The Rose Parade was a blast, and a great way to start off the New Year. Even if my camera battery died before I got to see the float I helped decorate. (Kristy, you’re gonna send me those pictures, right?!)
-Most importantly, in a week & a half, I will set out on an adventure that God’s been drawing me towards for a long time. There are a lot of hopes and dreams that are being realized with this next step in my life, regardless of the discontentment that’s been plaguing me of late. God is faithful, and there are great things in store.

With that, I’m going to go get some reading done.
| posted by Barbara | 8:39 AM