Barbara's Random Thoughts

Friday, December 29, 2006

Five Things

I know how you feel
No secrets to reveal
Nobody knows me at all...
--The Weepies


David tagged me to do this one: five things most people don’t know about me. I found myself drawn mostly to childhood memories. And this was more difficult than I would have thought. After all, where do you draw the line for what counts as “most people”? But here goes.

1. I had blond hair until I was about four years old. I’m halfway convinced that it darkened to brown because when I was three we moved from Del Mar, CA—a walk away from the beach—to England, where there was no sun.

2. This piece of information is utterly bizarre and a little embarrassing. I named my feet when I was a kid. I think it was because I had a hard time telling right from left. My left foot is named Fred; my right foot is named Mick. I have no idea where I came up with the names. Those are just the names of my feet and that is all there is to it.

3. I had an English accent until I was nine, but only when I was around my English friends. I never did it consciously, and I don’t think I was even aware of it until one day when a friend met my mother and asked, “Why does your mum talk funny?” I explained that it was because my mother was American. This question continued to come up from the same friend as she met the rest of my family: “Why does your dad talk funny?” “Why does your brother talk funny?” “Why does your sister talk funny?” Each time, my answer was “Because they’re American.” Finally she came out with: “Well, I’m glad you’re not American, because I don’t like Americans.” I figured if she couldn’t tell the difference, I wasn’t going to point it out.

4. I worked in the Biola cafeteria for one semester. Only one shift--Saturday mornings--and that was plenty.

5. The first time I was in a wedding, I was 14, and I was the maid of honor. It was my sister’s wedding and I caught the bouquet, which just goes to show you that the whole “next to be married” thing totally doesn’t work out.

Bonus (not officially counting it because I think there are quite a few people who do know this about me): I don’t know how to ride a bike. My family was supposed to move back to the US when I was five, and the answer to my request for a bike was that I could get one when we were back in CA. Every year, we decided to stay in England longer...and by the time we moved to CA, I was nine. I tried to learn, but it didn’t come easily, and I was too embarrassed to ride around the neighborhood and practice with training wheels on my bike. So I never learned, and I still don’t know how.

Labels:

| posted by Barbara | 9:55 PM