Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Happy Christmas

I need to get out of bed and join the family NOW, but I wanted to post these bits of things I've read lately, which are in my head today as I celebrate Christmas and as I head out tonight for two weeks in the UK.

This, from here, which reminds me that God can and will speak when He chooses. I am longing to meet with God in these next two weeks, and I know how He's broken through with me before. It's never safe, but it's good. =)

“If holiness and the awful power and majesty of God were present in this least auspicious of all events, this birth of a peasant’s child, then there is no place or time so lowly and earthbound but that holiness can be present there too. And this means that we are never safe, that there is no place where we can hide from God, no place where we are safe from his power to break in two and re-create the human heart because it is just where he seems most helpless that he is most strong, and just where we least expect him that he comes most fully.”

-Frederick Buechner, The Hungering Dark

And this, a reminder of how God speaks, from reading this:

And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him.
-1 Kings 19:11-13


God speaks in strange, unexpected, and quiet ways. May He speak to you this Christmas, breaking through where you least expect it, but where you need it most.
| posted by Barbara | 6:57 PM