Barbara's Random Thoughts

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Movie Meme

Found here.

1. Pick one dozen movies that you have special feelings about.
2. Pick a few lines of dialogue that mean something to you.
3. As people guess the film, strike out that entry.
4. After the film is guessed, explain why that movie made the list.


I'm not going to follow instructions exactly, because I doubt there will be a mad rush to comment/guess. And I can't be bothered to explain "why." But here they are anyway, a baker's dozen of movie quotes that mean something to me--or just make me smile.

-You can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean, it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.
(Garden State)

-You'll marry, all right. Some fool who will sit and read Tennyson by firelight, no doubt. Build you your castles in the sky. I know you.
(Anne of Avonlea)

-Who has been teaching you to say such things?
-Don't you think I could have thought of them myself?
(Lady Jane)

-Only grown-up men are scared of women.
(Sound of Music)

-It's like some hideous party game. Everybody's dancing, and nobody's getting the prize they want, because it's all third-hand and second-best.
(I Capture the Castle)

-All I'm saying is that somewhere out there is the man you are supposed to marry. And if you don't get him first, somebody else will, and you'll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that somebody else is married to your husband.
(When Harry Met Sally)

-The more I see of the world, the less inclined I am to think well of it.
(Pride & Prejudice)

-I don't want to go through life like my mother--afraid that I'm not really loved--even if it meant I could go through life with you.
(I Capture the Castle)

-That's your problem! You don't want to be in love, you want to be in love in a movie!
(Sleepless in Seattle)

-I don't see anything I don't like about you.
-But you will! But you will, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped, because that's what happens with me.
-Okay.
(Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)

-What about you, is there someone else?
-No. No, but there's the dream of someone else.
(You've Got Mail)

-It is but a shadow and a dream that you love.
(Return of the King)

-It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live.
(Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone)
| posted by Barbara | 10:29 PM