Barbara's Random Thoughts

Monday, November 14, 2005

Friendship divorce revisited

(starting in with the somewhat-stale posts, because I'm busy...)

I've mentioned this idea before--how there's no socially acceptable protocol or vocabulary for ended friendships. An ended relationship is more easily explained: "We broke up." But "We're not friends anymore" somehow isn't as easy. I once wrote a not entirely non-autobiographical short story on breaking up with a friend, entitled "It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time." Looking back, I think the title might have been the best part of the story.

I've recently come across a couple of books that deal with the concept of ended friendships. I kinda want to check these titles out, as this is an idea that fascinates me...probably due to the aforementioned ended or desired-to-be-ended friendships in my past.

The Myth of You and Me

The Friend Who Got Away
| posted by Barbara | 8:51 PM